Monday, July 18, 2011

Writing Religiously: Clash with the Editor

I just wrote something that I think is absolutely brilliant. It’s one of the best stories I’ve ever produced. I sent it in to be considered for publication in a short story compilation. While I admit that there’s a few unpolished areas in the story, the changes the editor wants to make are extensive, and in my humble (but correct) opinion, they would change the whole thrust of the story in significant ways.

My intent here isn’t to belittle the editor. I have high regard for him. The struggle is, however, a very real one in the world of creative endeavors.

So I’m at a decision point: Do I make all the changes to get published (and undermine the thrust of the story)? Or do I dig my heels in, leave the bulk of the story unchanged and take my story elsewhere if need be?

I think this is a real struggle every author will eventually face. For me, I think I’ll implement some of the suggested changes, dig my heels in about others and see what happens. At the end of the day though, if my name’s slapped on it, it’s got to be something I’m proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...