Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ideas are Everywhere

Judging from authors' FAQs, one of the most common questions people have is where writers get their ideas from. Some readers are just amazed at the ingenuity, and some would-be writers are desperatly searching for something to write about, wondering why they can't find anything.

I never had this question; I always have too much to write about. I'm a little confused by it really, because I think interesting things happen all the time. So I'm going to start an ongoing segment called "Ideas are Everywhere," in which I relate a true event from my life that I think would be good inspiration for a story.

Today's story comes from my time teaching 9th grade. The students were supposed to be working independently when I saw that two of them were making really weird noises. I asked them what on earth they were doing, and they excitedly turned to me and responded:
(xtranormal only allows two characters)









Seriously. Dinosaur sounds. On one had, completely ridiculous and random. On the other hand what sound does a dinosaur make?! We'll never know!





Where do you get ideas from?

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem you do - too many ideas slamming around in my brain. I wish the day was twice as long so I could get them all down on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in school I used to write random ideas on the top of my notebook pages. I think I still have them in my parent's basement...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...