Saturday, March 5, 2011

Surprise book

Owing to my lack of employment I'm trying to make use of my local library instead of buying books. So when I saw that Jasper Ffforde's One of my Thursdays is Missing would release soon I went onto my library's web page and requested it. (They have an awesome inter-library loan system, so even if they haven't ordered it they can get it from another library and call me when it's in.

I went away for a couple of weeks but when I came back yesterday what did I see laying on my bed? The book, which my mom had picked up from the library for me. Except it isn't released until Tuesday.


Doctor: What? What?! What?!
Batman: Calm down, Time Lord. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation.


Now, anyone who's followed Harry Potter launches know that in general release dates are somewhat flexible--books obviously arrive at stores ahead of time, and may be put out for sale before the launch. It seems they also arrive earlier at libraries, which make sense because they have to process them before they go into circulation.

I have been very excited for the release of Thursdays. I love Jasper Fforde and especially the Thursday Next books. (If you haven't read them, go out and do it.) So you would think I would be ecstatic to see it on my bed, with no wait at all.

I wasn't. I was terrified.

I wasn't ready, I wasn't prepared. I wasn't expecting it so soon. It wasn't supposed to be available yet--was I going crazy?

It took me a little while to get over it, and I started reading it this morning. I'm loving it but it still weirds me out a bit.

Did anything like this ever happen to you? Did you ever feel unprepared to read or do something?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...