Friday, May 6, 2011

A Day Late and a Dollar Short: Grammarrrrrrr...

My real-life job consists of editing things. I translate Legalese into plain English. Sometimes, the lawyers try to translate my finished edits back into Legalese. And my boss is getting sick of it.

My Captain!Boss has been having a hellish tug with the legal staff over their insistence upon ruining all her comprehensible English. Specifically, with the use of bullets. So she carved the following upon a stone tablet and sent it up to them, along with thunder and lightening and the promise of wrath:

Plain Language Rule # 5,369.7

We do NOT punctuate bullets. They do not have:



  • Commas


  • Semicolons


  • Periods
If you have a sentence that modifies a lengthy bullet, your choices are:



  • Put it in parentheses


  • Re-write the thought


  • See me

This rule applies to:



  • Doctors


  • Lawyers


  • Bureaucratic Chiefs
Sincerely,

The Grammar Goddess

She then printed out copies of this most-high commandment and slapped it on my cubicle wall.

I'm thinking she's reached the end of her tether...

Also, a follow up to last week's post about the Pennsylvania teacher who was 'outed' as an erotica romance writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...