Monday, May 9, 2011

Writing Religiously: The To-Do List

Every single author I know has an extensive To-Do list. Whether published or unpublished, expert or novice all us writers have more ideas than we have time to record them. Here’s my current list:

1. Finish co-writing JPCA with Kevin D.
2. Write the next Untold Alliances audio drama
3. Finish writing The Shade novels.
4. Pursue A Simple Proposal film?
5. Rewrite Untold
6. Decide if I want to write Untold 2, 3, 4, 5 or conflate it into one or two more novels, or end it with the single book.

This list only represents the things which I might have an audience and/or a publisher for. If I listed all the ideas for stories, short films and projects swimming around in my head I’d fill a couple of pages.

So why do writers have an insurmountable list of projects? A list which will most certainly never be completed?

I think it’s so that only the good stuff gets through. The things we love get written. The things we only like get pushed to the bottom of the list, or incorporated into the stories and characters we truly love.

So make your list, envision all your projects as pet goats, and choose the ones that you wouldn’t mind sacrificing to the blood-thirsty god of mediocre ideas . . . and feed those that remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...